2K Restoration of Zombie Cult Classic “The Dead Next Door”
Shambles to Retail as 2-Disc Collector’s Edition
Includes collectable slipcover with first pressing, plus three new bonus features
Tempe Entertainment announces the launch of its Blu-ray label Tempe Digital with the September 26 release of the 1990 landmark independent shocker “The Dead Next Door.” Priced at $29.95 SRP, this 2-Disc Collector’s Edition includes the same Blu-ray from the company’s limited (and now out of print) 3-Disc Ultimate Edition, along with an all-new DVD featuring a collectible slipcover and three new bonus features.
Two and a half decades before “The Walking Dead” made zombies mainstream on cable television, 19-year-old writer/director J.R. Bookwalter (“Ozone,” “Witchouse 2: Blood Coven”) embarked on “The Dead Next Door,” an ambitious horror feature pitting an elite team of Zombie Squad soldiers against hoards of the undead and the secretive religious cult hell-bent on protecting them. The film would ultimately take four years to complete with the help of a now-famous Hollywood director and more than 1,500 Northeast Ohio residents, who portrayed the multitudes of bloodthirsty ghouls.
For this 2-Disc Collector’s Edition release, brand-new 4:3 and 16:9 1080p HD masters have been painstakingly created from a 2K restoration using the original Super-8mm film elements. Also included is a 5.1 surround mix which restores the voices of the original cast members for the first time ever, vintage and newly-prepared bonus materials, and much more. The DVD includes a 4:3 standard-definition presentation of the restored feature plus a candid audio commentary by the director recorded in 2001, which was previously only available on long out-of-print international releases.
The second disc also features an all-new 2017 interview with actor Scott Spiegel (director of cult favorites “Intruder” and “From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money”), as well as a 1999 tour of several locations where the film was shot. Rounding out the Collector’s Edition is a beautiful slipcover featuring newly-commissioned artwork, which will only be available with the first pressing of 1,000 units.
“The Dead Next Door” 2-Disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray + DVD will be available everywhere on September 26, 2017 at $29.95 SRP, with retail distribution from our partners at MVD.
Bonus Feature from the Blu-ray called “Restoration of the Dead” which goes into the extensive work done to restore the film: https://youtu.be/uf8TuPEZw1w
“THE DEAD NEXT DOOR” 2-Disc Collector’s Edition (Blu-ray + DVD)
Disc 1 (Blu-ray)
* 2KRestored Feature in 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio (1.33:1, 78 mins.)
* 2K Restored Feature in 16:9 Widescreen (1.78:1, 78 mins.)
* DTS HD-MA 5.1 Surround Original Cast Mix
* DTS HD-MA 5.1 Surround Classic Dubbed Mix
* 2015 Audio Commentary with producers J.R. Bookwalter, Jolie Jackunas and Scott P. Plummer
* “Restoration of the Dead” Featurette (19 mins.)
* Capitol Theatre Screening Q&A (12 mins.)
* The Nightlight Screening Q&A (16 mins.)
* Behind the Scenes Footage (19 mins.)
* Deleted Scenes & Outtakes (7 mins.)
* Storyboard Gallery (27 mins.)
* Around The World Gallery (4 mins.)
* Behind The Scenes Gallery (9 mins.)
* Production Stills Gallery (6 mins.)
* Tempe Digital Trailers: The Dead Next Door (2015 Version), Platoon of the Dead (2009), Poison Sweethearts (2008)
Disc 2 (DVD)
* FIRST TIME ON DVD! Standard-Definition Presentation of 2K Restored Feature in 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio (1.33:1, 78 mins.)
* NEW! 2001 Foreign DVD Audio Commentary with writer/director J.R. Bookwalter and makeup FX artist David Lange
* NEW! Richards Returns: An Interview with Actor Scott Spiegel (5 mins.)
* NEW! Akron Location Tour with James L. Edwards (5 mins.)
* FIRST TIME ON DVD! Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Original Cast Mix
* FIRST TIME ON DVD! 2015 Audio Commentary with producers J.R. Bookwalter, Jolie Jackunas and Scott P. Plummer
* Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Classic Dubbed Mix
* 2005 Audio Commentary with writer/director J.R. Bookwalter, actor Michael Todd and cinematographer Michael Tolochko, Jr.
* 20 Years in 15 Minutes (16 mins.)
* Video Storyboards (8 mins.)
* Video Pre-Shoots (6 mins.)
* Auditions (14 mins.)
* 2000 Frightvision Reunion (6 mins.)
* Three Miles Out Music Video (3 mins.)
* Tempe Video Trailers: The Dead Next Door, Kingdom of the Vampire (1991), Ozone, The Sandman, Polymorph
Packaging (First 1,000 Units Only)
* Slipcover with Newly-Commissioned 2017 Artwork
* Classic VHS Release Wrap Arts
About Tempe Digital
Founded in 1991 during the heyday of the VHS format, Tempe Video has a lengthy history of distributing independent, low-budget features and special interest titles. The company cemented a reputation as “the Criterion of direct-to-video features” in 2003 after branching into DVD with a line of nationally distributed, feature-packed Special Editions.
Tempe’s eclectic catalog of horror and cult fare includes the all-star dramedy “Eddie Presley” (directed by Jeff Burr), Showtime documentary “Something to Scream About” (directed by Jason Paul Collum), and “The Dead Next Door,” a sprawling zombie epic directed by J.R. Bookwalter, which launches the new Tempe Digital line of Blu-ray releases.
“The Dead Next Door” on IMDb: